How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah

• 40

How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah

Written By:

I ran into Twylah a few weeks ago while researching tools that measure social influence.  In a nutshell, Twylah takes your Twitter feed and organizes it by trending topic. This makes finding your topical Twitter content much easier for your valued readers and followers. Furthermore, there are ways to optimize your Twylah account for organic search (SEO).  In this article, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to search engine optimize your Twylah account.

How to Optimize Your Twitter Feed With Twylah:

The Basics:

1. Request an invitation at http://www.twylah.com (that was easy, right?)

Setting Up A Sub-domain

1. You can only set-up a sub-domain if you actually own a domain name. If you do not own a domain name and would like to register one, I highly recommend GoDaddy.com
  2. Once you have your domain name registered, please click “how to create a sub-domain for Twylah
  3. After you’ve successfully completed step #2, email customdomains@twylah.com to let them know you’ve created a sub-domain and specify your Twitter handle in the message
  4. When considering what to name your sub-domain, I highly recommend tweets.yourdomainname.com
  5. It may take a day or two for your sub-domain to be turned on by Twylah, so keep checking back

Optimizing Your Sub-domained Twylah Site
In order for your sub-domain to start ranking for topical information, it must first be crawled and indexed by search engines.  Here are some SEO tips to get your entire sub-domain indexed:

1. Make sure that you’re linking to your sub-domain from the homepage of your Website
    –  An easy way to do this is by including one of the buttons that Twylah provides on their site
    –  See the upper-right hand-nav on this page for an example (e.g., “See My Trending Tweets”)
  2. Make sure that you have your sub-domain listed on your social network profiles.  Check out my Twitter profile as an example
  3. Create an XML Sitemap specific to your Twylah sub-domain and upload it to the root folder of your server
    – I highly recommend this free XML Sitemap Generator
    – View my XML Sitemap to see what it should look like
  4. Create a Robots.txt file and upload it to the root folder of your server.  Ensure that you’re pointing search engines to the Twylah sitemap
    – View my Robots.txt file and feel free to modify it and use it for your own site
  5. Last but not least, if you haven’t created a Google Webmaster Tools account, do it!  Within your Webmaster tools account, under “site configuration–>sitemap”, notify Google of your Twylah sitemap location
    – Also, you can do the same with Bing Webmaster Tools

Optimize Your Tweets

1. Remember, as you tweet out to the Twitterverse, where appropriate, use keywords preceded by hash-tags
    – Examples:  #SEO #socialmedia #videooptimization #twitter #twylah

While I haven’t run any keyword ranking reports on my Twylah subdomain, in a few short days, over 1,300+ pages have been indexed by Google.  I’d say that’s a great start!

One last thing… please share this article with your friends and make sure to follow Kelly Kim, the Twylah mastermind, on Twitter @twylah

About Author

Adam

is a Digital marketing veteran located in the Twin Cities area.

40 Comments

How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah | AdamDince.com | Twitter

October 3, 2011at 2:55 am

[…] More: How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah | AdamDince.com Posted in How to Twitter Tags: article, getting-the-most, learn-how, most, optimize-your, […]

Janet @ The Natural Networker

October 12, 2011at 8:30 pm

Adam, aloha. This is brilliant. Thank you so much for the cleat explanation. Jure Klepic posted the link on a tweetchat earlier this evening. Now I am off to share it on twitter and in my tribes. Aloha. Janet

October 12, 2011at 8:36 pm

Janet, thank you so much for the kind words. I think Twylah is the by far, best Twitter tool available. If you need any help implementing these recommendations please don’t hesitate to reach out. Hope you follow me on Twitter. I’ll follow you back!

Sherry Nouraini

October 12, 2011at 11:03 pm

What a great article and detailed explanation! This one is a keeper in my Evernote. I have a question though, how many people do you think will be reading your tweets on the Twylah platform, when most people are using SM management tools like Hootsuite, Argylesocial and such? I ask because I think our attention is being overly fragmented by all these different social media tools sprouting!

Thanks in advance for your insight.

October 13, 2011at 5:06 am

Hi Sherry,

I totally agree that there are way too many tools out there to choose from. Personally, I prefer Tweet Deck for my day to day tweets and keeping up with my Twitterverse. I see Twylah serving a much different purpose than other Twitter tools. For instance, people who visit my site can quickly click on my tweets.adamdince.com link and see what I’m saying about specific topics. Also, Twylah increases the potential of people finding my site and tweets through organic search. I don’t see Twylah as a replacement for other Twitter tools. I see it as an amazing compliment and personal branding tool.

Thank you so much for the comment.

Stan Faryna

October 13, 2011at 6:09 am

Batman’s utility belt never looked better. It looked good on him. It was ergonomic. And all the tools he needed to get the job done were there. Today, the socia media ninja drives a van filled with all kinds of tools piled up in the back. It shifts during the ride and that’s one heck of a mess.

Does Twylah go on a belt or in the back of the van?

October 13, 2011at 6:35 am

Twylah is like Batman himself. Once you sign-up it requires no maintenance. If you’d like to optimize it on a sub-domain as I’ve layed out here in this article, then it takes a minimal amount of work, one time. After that, Twylah updates itself via Twitter’s stream. Furthermore, if you host it on a sub-domain, your site has the potential to build out quite a bit of search and social relevancy around the topics you tweet about.

Hope this helps.

Saul Fleischman @applications development Japan

October 14, 2011at 10:36 pm

Dear Adam,

Following instructions, I am stuck (in 1and1 internet, my domain storage company) on “From the DNS menu…” << there is no such menu, and no mention of DNS within any menus. What to do?

Many thanks,

Saul

October 14, 2011at 10:48 pm

Hey Saul,

My recommendation would be to reach out to 1&1’s support or try Googling “creating sub-domains with 1&1 hosting.” I’m also guessing that there are relevant topics in the help section, but could be wrong. I’m not familiar with their dashboard, so I won’t be of much help there. The easiest way is to call them and have them walk you through it. Good luck!

Cheers,
Adam

Blog Soup 2011.10.17 by Stan Faryna « The unofficial blog of Stan Faryna

October 17, 2011at 5:38 am

[…] How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah by Adam […]

@arabellatv

October 25, 2011at 8:05 am

I use Twylah like I use a mirror. I look at it to see how I present myself to the public through my tweets. It’s a good way to figure out how to craft your messages. Waiting for my XML Sitemap right now. Thanks so much for this tip!

How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah | AdamDince.com | Digital Strategies for Social Humans | Scoop.it

October 25, 2011at 8:26 am

[…] How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah | AdamDince.com Are your Tweets working for you? Are you getting the most out of your Twitter activity? If not, learn how to optimize your Tweets in this article. Source: http://www.adamdince.com […]

Keri

October 26, 2011at 8:12 am

Adam,

Great post!

I too have made a sub-domain for my tweets. And, like @arabellatv, I use Twylah like a mirror to see how i present to the world. My Twylah link is my website link on my Twitter bio.

So, that said, how are you finding the information that 1300 links have been indexed?

(asks the eclectically knowledgeable girl who knows enough only to be dangerous…) 😉

~Keri

October 26, 2011at 8:28 am

Hi Keri,

Thank you! If you Google, “site:tweets.ideagirlmedia.com”, without the quotes, you should see the number of pages Google has stored in its index. Looks like right now you’ve got about 780 pages indexed.

Jeremy Blanton

October 26, 2011at 10:11 am

I checked my stats. Over 4,500 pages indexed at tweets.210consulting.com :) I must say this is pretty cool.

October 26, 2011at 10:28 am

That is awesome! Thank you for letting me know, Jeremy!

WordPress SEO

October 27, 2011at 8:26 am

Adam, strong work! Kelly Kim from Twylah sent me an heads-up email on your “how to” post. Glad I clicked through to read your how to config Twylah. I’ve been comparing 3 different content curation portals Twylah vs. Scoop.it vs. paper.li and all have their pros and cons. This new piece of info helped a lot – thanks!

October 27, 2011at 8:34 am

So glad it helped!

Neal Schaffer

October 27, 2011at 1:27 pm

You rock Adam!!!

October 27, 2011at 1:41 pm

Hi Neal, please let me know how it works for you. Keep me posted.

Jodi Okun

October 30, 2011at 3:52 pm

love this..I need to do every step..but not sure how to begin..tried to check your bio out on twitter..but it would not let me

i love my twylah page and want to use it more

Thanks
Jodi Okun

October 30, 2011at 3:53 pm

Hi Jodi, the instructions are set-up in order of operation. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy to help!

David Bradley

November 1, 2011at 1:56 pm

Followed your excellent instructions. One thing…isn’t it better to have the sitemap for tweets.mydomain.com in the root of the domain rather than mydomain.com or doesn’t it matter. Google does seem to have grabbed several hundred URLs…

November 1, 2011at 3:20 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for the comment. To answer your question, it’s always best practice to keep your XML sitemaps in the root folder however, if you’re pointing to it in the autodiscover of your robots.txt and have notified Google of your XML sitemap within Webmaster Tools, you’ll be just fine.

Cheers,
Adam

Zeeoafb

November 10, 2011at 9:41 pm

I followed your tips and googled my twylah site today by typing in “site:tweets.almostfreebeats.net”. It showed that I have 2,460 results returned for it. I also checked my Google webmaster tools for my main website. It shows that my Twylah page is linking over 5,000 links and 84 pages worth of content to it!

Thanks a bunch for writing this article and sharing these powerful marketing strategies with the online community. Kudos!

Zee

November 10, 2011at 10:17 pm

That’s great news!

David Bradley

November 14, 2011at 5:07 am

As of today 3880 pages spidered…but what does it all mean? Traffic referred from tweets.sciencebase.com back to the site is almost non-existent, am I missing something. Is this benefiting my site in some way I cannot quite see?

How To Optimize Your Twitter Feed with Twylah | AdamDince.com | Social Presence Management | Scoop.it

November 19, 2011at 8:26 pm

Joey O’Connor

March 29, 2012at 9:01 am

Great tips here Adam…already incorporated a few of them!

Thanks for sharing…I’m a huge Twylah Fan! (much better than Twilight!)

Joey O’Connor

March 29, 2012at 9:14 am

Adam, a couple questions now…

I have the Google XML Sitemap plugin on my wordpress blog and I have checked out the free sitemap tool you mentioned. Do I need to use the free sitemap tool for my Twylah url? Once I create a free site map for my tweets.joeyo.org and upload it to Google Webmaster, am I finished? Or do I periodically need to update the sitemap and resend it to Webmaster?

Thanks for your feedback!

Keneesha

March 29, 2012at 9:37 am

I love simplified, grab my hand and lead me on, honest help. For someone like myself who has spent a lot of time learning things on her own, I am always game for more knowledge that keeps me functional and not paralyzed with info overload. Now all I have to do is put your tips into action, the first tip already complete, of course :) Thankfully I already have my Twylah account because it took me weeks before mine was approved and set up, but after seeing it, I began to understand why. Thanks for the article

Marie

March 30, 2012at 9:23 am

Thank you for this article – really great information! I signed up for Twylah and the XML sitemap generator. It’s a great tool for me since it also generates an image sitemap and I have over 10,000 pictures on my site :) I’m learning a lot from all your blogs – http://marketing.grader.com/ was a great link that you recommended. I found out that I needed to create a 301 redirect to be more search engine friendly!

March 30, 2012at 2:12 pm

Hi Joey,

Thank you for reaching out. If you see that the Google XML Sitemap plugin is catching your Twylah URLs, then I wouldn’t worry about using the XML sitemap generator.

Also, if you’re tweeting alot and feel that you’re getting considerably more tweets indexed in Twylah, generating a fresh XML sitemap on a quarterly basis might be a good idea. Google will crawl as many URLs as it can by following the links within Twylah. The XML sitemap helps Google do a more efficient crawl, so an updated sitemap can only help.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Adam

Joey O’Connor

March 30, 2012at 4:32 pm

Thanks Adam…if it’s not too much trouble, can you tell me how I can see if the XML sitemap is catching my Twylah URLs…not sure how to do that!

Thanks…great site here!

March 30, 2012at 5:09 pm

Hi Joey,

If you visit: http://www.joeyo.org/sitemap.xml, you’ll see the XML sitemap without any Twylah URLs.

Cheers,
Adam

Joey O’Connor

March 30, 2012at 5:22 pm

Beautiful…love the simplicity of your response! I’m educated now!

Thanks again!

Joey O’Connor

March 31, 2012at 5:03 pm

I created and uploaded the xml.sitemap for my tweets.joeyo.orog and robot.txt file to my root server, but nothing’s happened.

Nothing showing at http:// tweets.joeyo.org/xml.sitemap

Do I need to finish the step with google webmaster first?

Thanks Adam!

Joey O’Connor

March 31, 2012at 5:11 pm

I should add, I had a previous xml file and robots file in the root directory, probably from my google xml wordpress plugin…should I delete those?

Joey O’Connor

April 2, 2012at 12:48 pm

Many thanks to Adam for helping me out…a couple things might help other readers if you made a couple errors like I did…

I had simply named my sitemap (sitemap.xml) when I generated it in XML Sitemap Generator, but what I needed to do (as Adam pointed out) was to name it twylah-sitemap.xml. Once I did this, after putting the sitemap file in my root folder (also known as the public.html folder in some web servers…I use Blue Host), the sitemap appeared right away.

Once I submitted the url tweets.joeyo.org/twylah-sitemap.xml to Google Webmaster last night, it had already indexed 185 of my 500 pages…pretty quick!

Kudos to Adam for helpful instructions here and via twitter!

Dewey

April 6, 2012at 7:32 am

Thank you Adam for the great tutorial! Twylah really hasn’t caught on with me to be honest prior to actually getting it properly set up and getting it set up with my subdomain. Now everything is configured thanks to your tips!
Thank you thank you thank you! :)

Best wishes,