Written By: Adam Dince
If you’re anything like me, you LOVE Twitter and you spend a significant amount of time online building relationships with other like-minded people.
Over the past few years, I’ve been fortunate enough to meet quite a few of my Twitter friends in real life which has resulted in long-lasting relationships. My friend Susan Harrison coined hashtag #ConnectIRL which serves as a reminder to people to expand relationships outside of Twitter into the real world.
Before I travel, I often find myself asking the question, “Whom from Twitter do I know where I’m going?” The challenge is, my community is big and it’s impossible to remember where all of my Twitter friends live. So, let me share a little hack that makes #ConnectIRL very easy to coordinate.
1. Go to FollowerWonk and sign in with your Twitter account
3. Click on the “Sort Followers” option right underneath your avatar
4. Once Followerwonk has loaded your connections, click on the download icon
5. Depending on the number of followers you have, it may take a few minutes to generate the report. When it’s finished processing, you should find the report by clicking in the “Followerwonk Reports” link under your avatar
6. Then, click on the hyperlinked Excel (.xls) file and download the attachment
7. Throw a data filter on your Excel Spreadsheet and in column C, and enter the name of the city you’ll be traveling to.
8. Wallah, now you’ve got a list of Twitter friends to reach out to and start planning your #ConnectIRL events.
I hope this helps your next trip be a little more enjoyable and connectable.
Would love to hear about your experiences if you’ve pulled together Tweetups through your travel.