Written By: Adam Dince
In order to create winning content, you must ensure that you’re communicating to your Website visitors using a variety of digital assets. If you’re solely relying on text heavy pages to win friends and influence search engines, then you’re way behind the eight-ball. It’s important to carefully consider your audience, competition, and proposed content themes before deciding which method is best for presentation. In general—a smart combination of text and engaging digital assets will take your content marketing a long way. And if you want your digital assets to be findable, they must be optimized.
Search engines—like people, better relate to your digital assets when they are contextually relevant. So the question is, how do you ensure that you’re giving users and search engines as much information about your digital assets as possible? I think I can help.
Below, I’ve provided a checklist of best practice tactics to consider when optimizing the two most common types of digital assets (images and video). Many of these best practices can apply to any of the digital assets that you create on a regular basis.
- Include image ALT attributes
- Include image Title attributes
- Ensure your image name includes relevant terms
- Surround your images with relevant content that gives imagery context
- Implement an image XML sitemap
- Notify Google Webmaster Tools of your image XML sitemap
- Point to your image XML sitemap within your robots.txt file
- Create infographics as embeddable widgets that backlink to your page
- Ensure images on Web pages have the appropriate resolution
- Pin engaging photos from your Website onto Pinterest and then curate through social media channels
- Ensure your video filename includes relevant terms
- Embed video with proper microformats
- Surround your video with relevant content
- Implement a video XML sitemap
- Enable sharing, ratings and comments on your video player/video share site embed
- Ensure a call to action is included in videos
- Distribute videos to multiple video share sites (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, etc..). A great tool that can help you distribute quickly is TubeMogul.
- Curate video content on social networks
- Ensure a transcript is readily available to visitors
- Ask your network to share your video content
- Ensure that video RSS feeds are easily accessible
- If hosting on a share site (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo), ensure that there is a link pointing back to the most relevant URL on your Website
If you are working with a unique type of digital asset and would like a few pointers, feel free to reach out. Also, if this article was helpful, please share it with your friends.
Written By: Adam Dince
In November of 2011, Google and Shopper Sciences published a study and point of view called “Winning the Zero Moment of Truth (ZMOT)”. Google’s ZMOT document introduces marketers to a new mental paradigm that shoppers have adopted thanks to the evolution of Web accessible devices, social media, and user-generated content.
In December of 2011, for MRM New York, I developed a summation and guide to Google’s ZMOT study and developed a ZMOT analysis tool called the ZMOT Score that helps to measure how a brand is doing in the zero moment of truth. This score/analysis helps brands improve their overall presence in the digital marketplace at the moment consumers are making purchase decisions.
Download the MRM ZMOT summation and guide, called The Zero Moment of Truth (ZMOT) – Influencing Online Decision Making (PDF) and/or visit MRM Worldwide’s page on the Zero Moment of Truth (HTML).
Quote from MRM’s ZMOT Score press-release:
While the premise of the zero moment of truth is nothing new to digital marketers, Google’s ZMOT study does a great job of redefining and reframing the mental model of today’s consumer. MRM New York has long advocated the defining principles of the ZMOT, and hopes with Google’s endorsement of the concept more brands will take note about the importance of cross-channel optimization.” said Adam Dince, V.P. Director of Search at MRM New York.
I would appreciate any tweets, shares, likes, and +1’s of this post. Thank you in advance!